The Mean Mom

Just ask my 7 year old, he'll tell you. Don't believe him? Ask my 14 year old, if she still leaves you in doubt, my 17 year old can confirm it too.

May 12, 2006

Glub... glub... glub...

That's the sound of me being in over my head.

That's the sound of me drowning in my inability to say "No".

That's the sound of me being sucked in to something I know I shouldn't be.

Here's how it goes... Tuesday, I had to go to pick up the pizza kits that the boy sold (all to us, cause I'm a lame sales person.) While there, Ms. PTA prez (to 3 schools no less)/Scout leader queen/Community service goddess approaches me... "So, I hear your going to be the Wolf co-leader next year. That's really great!" Huh?! I know I'm on allergy meds, but I'm not a volunteerer... am I?! So we chat about it... and I find out she's only fishing for a co-leader... Cause I think the leader wants to get out. Before I can rip my tongue out, I hear myself saying, "Lemme think about it... When would you need to know?" STOP! What the heck am I thinking?! Crud. Well, I'll just tell her that I don't think I can do it. I'll have to come up with some really good reasons for when she tries to talk me into it.

So, then last night, I'm at dance rehearsal... and I'm talking to dance program chairlady, and she mentions that she really wishes that she had someone to handle the fundraisers for next year... I mention that I really wish that they wouldn't sell the home interior candles, cause they are a bad seller... and somehow, I'm offering to do the fundraiser stuff. ACK! Why do I talk to these people? I should just stay away.

I do have to admit, out of the 2, I would much rather do the fundraisers... they have to be done by January. They only do 3 fundraisers. It would be more intensive from Sept to Jan but then I'm done for the year.

Am I the only one that can't say no? Actually these are minor compared to the other stuff I've inadvertantly volunteered for. Like being a girl scout co-leader for several years. Or signing up for the lawn mowing committee at church...

When will I learn? ... sigh...

4 babbled along:

  • At 2:08 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger The Cluck Wagon said…

    Hey - we still need people to help out during my shift in the concession booth at football. Wanna come help me?

     
  • At 3:46 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Queen Bee said…

    So stop being so friendly and talking to people, then stop being so nice and offering to help (or even just not saying no right off). Oh wait, that's just who you are. Tell the first lady you wish you could but don't have time and tell the second one you would like to, but only if you have HELP and lots of it. Or just hide under a rock.

     
  • At 9:42 PM, May 13, 2006, Blogger Julie said…

    Definitely not just you! I get myself into messes like this all the time.

    Try avoiding eye contact; that seems to help. :)

     
  • At 2:38 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Amy said…

    Hey from a fellow "can't say no-er" to another -we should form a club of some sorts. If your looking for a fundraiser I know these great plastic bowls you can sell and the organization makes 40% off all sales (weak sales pitch here.)LOL
    We need to stand infront of a mirror and repeat over and over again "no."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home