The Mean Mom

Just ask my 7 year old, he'll tell you. Don't believe him? Ask my 14 year old, if she still leaves you in doubt, my 17 year old can confirm it too.

May 02, 2007

One of the ways I wear my Mean Mom title proudly...

Yesterday was Nikki's birthday. Happy 14th to her! She came into my room, all perky and bouncy and just stood there staring at me... I had 7 minutes before the alarm went off. I opened one eye and looked at her. Here's what it sounded like...

Mean Mom (MM): What.
Birthday Girl (BG): Nothing.
MM: Go Away.
BG: Ok. (she doesn't move from her spot, staring at me.)
MM: Look. Just cause it's your birthday, does not mean you can annoy me.
BG: (Huge grin) You remembered! I love you, Mommy!
MM: Go away... oh, and I love you too.

Then the day progressed...

That afternoon I got a call from her:

BG: I don't want to go to cub scouts. I want to go home and open presents.
MM: What presents. You aren't getting any.
BG: Well then I want to stay home and open my cards.
MM: There was only the one from Grandpa G.
BG: Yeah, but there could be more when I get home. If I say "card" and there are more than one, I won't be able to open them all because I only said one card, not several.
MM: Whatever.
BG: If I go to scouts, will they have to sing "Happy Birthday"?
MM: Probably.
BG: I'll let you know later then.

Later that evening...

BG: I'll go to scouts.
MM: Doesn't matter to me.
BG: Guess I'll just open my cards (at that point she only had 2 to open).

At Scouts...
CubMaster (CM): There's someone celebrating a birthday.. and she's 14.
BG: (giggle and blush... a lot of blushing!)
CM: I think we should sing to her.
BG: (Still blushing walks to the front)
Cub Pack: Sings Happy Birthday
BG: Thanks, Mommy, that was fun!
MM: Any time... do you really mean that or are you being sarcastic?
BG: I really mean it.

Later that evening, at home:

Lots of scurrying to get the cake out and candles on it that she didn't think she was getting until the weekend...

Birthday Girl's Sister (BGS): I'll keep her distracted.
MM: Thanks.
Birthday Girl's Sister: Nikki, can you come upstairs with me, I want you to hear my song for Hip Hop and see this move we learned tonight.
MM: Gets the cards out, and the cake and puts candles on the cake.
BG & BGS return back to the living room.
BGS: comes into the kitchen and whispers: Should I get Doug?
MM: Yes, and then I'll call her out.
Everyone gathers just off the dining room BGS and D in the hall, Kyle and me in the kitchen.
MM: (In irritated tone) Nikki. Come here.
BG: Hang on. I'm in the middle of Veronica Mars, do you need me right now?
MM: Yes. You're on dishes and I need them done now.
BG: What?! BGS didn't have to do them on her birthday. It's not fair.
MM: Come here.
BG: (plopping remote on the coffee table, and stomping out spots me in the kitchen with the cake with candles glowing brightly): CAKE! Yeah me!
BG: Hugs MM and says: I thought I was really gonna have to do the dishes!
MM: Well....
BG: No way!

She was completely surprised by the cake and cards. It's so much fun to mess with my kids... For the oldest's birthday, she really wanted a new tv (she was using an old hand me down from one of her friends). It didn't have a remote because the friend had lost it. We wrapped the remote from her new tv, and told her that we got her a Universal Remote to use with her tv. She was crushed! I told her that Hubby had already messed with it and it was programmed for her tv, but we all made the trek up the stairs to her room... she cried when she saw the new tv.

I want to make a big deal out of birthdays. They are special days, and should be memorable.

Happy birthday Snickerdoodle! We love you!

Labels: ,

4 babbled along:

  • At 12:56 PM, May 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Birthday Nikki! And if you can't mess with your kids, what's the point?

     
  • At 10:18 PM, May 02, 2007, Blogger The Cluck Wagon said…

    Glad she had such a great day!

     
  • At 3:44 PM, May 06, 2007, Blogger Queen Bee said…

    I could just SEE all that happening! *LOL*

     
  • At 9:04 PM, May 10, 2007, Blogger Unknown said…

    I saw the link to your blog on the dischloth yahoo group and came to read this post (that someone mentioned).

    Maybe I'm PMSing, lol, but I had tears in my eyes at the end of your post! Birhtdays were always special as I was growing up. I don't know if I"m doing as good a job of making them special for my kids, but I'm going to start doing a better job! ;)

    Happy belated to your dd!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home