The Mean Mom

Just ask my 7 year old, he'll tell you. Don't believe him? Ask my 14 year old, if she still leaves you in doubt, my 17 year old can confirm it too.

October 10, 2006

The game of Perfection...

Do you remember that game? With the little odd shaped pieces that you had to fit in the spots before the timer went off and it popped them all out. I remember. I hated that game. I could never, ever, never get that stupid thing done before the timer ran out. Guess I was less than perfect. Aren't we all though?

So this past weekend, I did a lot of knitting... I'm really liking this knitting thing. And since I'm working on a sock, I had been really paying attention. Well, as I was going along, I noticed that my ribbing wasn't looking so great. I obviously can't count. How hard is it to knit 3, purl 1? For me, too hard I guess. Then as I was looking closer, about 6 inches back, there was a dropped stitch! How the heck did that happen? Well let me tell you, it's above the heel, so there's no way on God's green earth am I ripping all that out! I'll just have to figure something else out. (Suggestions, anyone?) Hubby is less than enthusiastic as I show him my sock every few rows. My children don't even want to look at it. Yeah, it's funny looking, but it has a sorta sock shape. Some of the women at church who saw I was knitting told me that socks were hard. They never did get socks to turn out. My sock is not perfect, but it's mine.

While sitting at the school, waiting for my oldest daughter yesterday, one of her girlfriends saw the sock. She was very excited. She loved the yarn, and the sock. Then, she asked me if I could make her a pair. I was excited. While I was seeing all the imperfections, she saw something good. Then she changed her mind... She wants leg warmers instead. I think I can do that. And hey! there's no heels in legwarmers. ;)



********************************
Follow This Link to visit my personal web page and help me in my efforts to support Susan G. Komen - Maryland Affiliate in my Race for the Cure.
********************************

5 babbled along:

  • At 1:42 PM, October 10, 2006, Blogger The Cluck Wagon said…

    Hey - I want some thigh-high tights in a rainbow pattern! Think you can do it? ;)
    Kidding aside, good for you!! :)

     
  • At 2:22 PM, October 10, 2006, Blogger Lara said…

    To keep the dropped stitch from running, just take a little scrap of yarn and sew the errant loop down. If it's already run (so you have what is called a ladder where the dropped stitch ran) you'll want to pick them back up. That's a lot easier to show than explain. lol. If you need to do that and need help, I'll see if I can't find an illustration or something.

     
  • At 11:53 PM, October 10, 2006, Blogger Heather said…

    WOW legwarmers.... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL You are right...much easier... no heels ;) I dont knit.

     
  • At 6:50 PM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Queen Bee said…

    Yeah, Karen, you rock!! I want a pair of socks when you're ready to make another pair :)

     
  • At 3:11 PM, October 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Way to go! And dropping a stitch is not too hard to fix :D Sorry your DH doesn't get excited about your knitting, it takes time. I have mine trained to buy me yarn! LOL!

    Take a pic, I wanna see the sock :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home