The Mean Mom

Just ask my 7 year old, he'll tell you. Don't believe him? Ask my 14 year old, if she still leaves you in doubt, my 17 year old can confirm it too.

October 29, 2006

Confirmations, Macaroni, and Pumpkins, Oh MY!

Today was StupidX's stepson's Confirmation at Church. Kay and I went, and Hubby and I gave him a card with $20 in it. I mention this cause I gotta come clean. I kinda had an ulterior motive. I wanted to prove that I was better than StupidX. I wanted to show that even though this kid is nothing to me, I gave him something and showed up for his Confirmation. Then I felt bad. Am I really the bigger person if I have to prove it using J? After the service, I quietly slipped him the card, congratulated him, and left. I later found out there was no party for him, no one from his mom's side of the family was there. His dad didn't even show up. Now, I don't know any of the family background stuff, but I did feel bad for him. This was a big day. At least I see it as a big day. It's the day when you take control of your religious life. The day when you re-affirm the promises made on your behalf at your baptism. I'm glad that I was there. I'm glad that I was able to be there for him. Even if it did start out with the wrong intentions.

There's this blog that read... I don't know how Traci found it, but she did, and I clicked it one day, and Oh My... the stuff this woman makes and blogs about is awesome! Her blog is Smitten Kitchen, and let me tell you... it all looks so incredible. Tonight, we made the Mac & Cheese that she posted. It was very easy. Only dirtied my blender, a bowl and the baking pan. Gotta love that. It was wonderfully cheesy. I think the next time I make it though, I'm going to use a smaller deeper dish... it ended up being only about an inch deep. Next time we'll see. Also, I used real cheese, but it was oily. I hate that. We used 2% milk, but whole milk cottage cheese. Was still very yummy. Hubby thinks next time we should sprinkle some bread crumbs on top... I don't know. Check her out, and try it yourself.

Tonight we did our annual pumpkin carving. It was fun, and I think we might do it on our own from now on. It was much calmer, there were no fights, and no stress. I usually end up leaving mom's with a headache. We all (except for Kay) gathered round the table, cut, scooped, and carved. The finished products are on the front step. This would be where I would post the picture and ask you to look at them and ooohhh and aaaahhh appropriately, only Hubby's digital wouldn't work. Not sure if it's the batteries, the card, or the whole thing. Either way, only film pictures and you know how I am about those... you might see the pumpkins by Easter. They did turn out really cute though. Hubby in his usual style made some elaborate thing... Nikki made a goofy face, Kyle made a simple witch and mine is a tree with a face. I'll really try to get the pictures soon. Yeah, I know, I owe you lots of pictures...

Well, I'm off to bed, gonna see if I can't get that sock finished... and spend some quiet time with Hubby. I've hardly had a chance to talk to him today. That's not good. It's funny how I could go days on end before without talking to the X and maybe that was part of our problem, but now, I miss it if Hubby and I don't talk...

Oh... and don't worry Cherie, if I'm the Karen you've tagged, I saw it... (if not, please let me know... I'll stop stressing over coming up with 10 things, LOL!) I'll try to post that in the next day or so.

3 babbled along:

  • At 9:25 AM, October 30, 2006, Blogger The Cluck Wagon said…

    I'll have to treat myself to the mac and cheese when I hit the 10 pound weight loss mark - just not go crazy with it.
    And you're not a bad person. So stop or I'll smack you.

     
  • At 11:39 AM, October 30, 2006, Blogger Jill said…

    I think your discreet show of kindness to him was wonderful, Karen, and he has no idea what prompted you, so stop fretting about it. You did good.

    Thank you for the prayer request down below. Love you!

     
  • At 2:28 PM, October 30, 2006, Blogger Queen Bee said…

    Yeah, quit fretting, you're good :) And you're the Karen, no pressure!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home