The Mean Mom

Just ask my 7 year old, he'll tell you. Don't believe him? Ask my 14 year old, if she still leaves you in doubt, my 17 year old can confirm it too.

August 11, 2006

It's the little things...

There are little things that I found out last weekend about some of my friends. Things I didn't know I didn't know.

Ok, maybe not things. Just thing.

I don't know about when I was really young, I don't remember much then, but I remember from about age 11-12, when I would meet a friend's parents, I would call them Miss Jane and Mr. John... or whatever their first names happened to be. It was a way to show respect with out being too formal. Some friends had parents that went by Mr & Mrs Lastname. That was a bit formal. Thru most of high school, we did away with our mom's names, and called the friend's mom "Mom". The dads usually stayed Mr. Firstname.

While at the BBQ, I found out that none of my friends have their kids do this... I don't know what they do, but this was not the norm. Traci even said that her kids only do it at the BBQ.

Hmm... if they don't do that, what do they call adult people who are not an Aunt or an Uncle? (Oh, we had some people that were very close friends of the family that we called Aunt and Uncle, and for a while, my oldest daughter called my best friend Aunt. We stopped talking when her boyfriend had a spat with StupidX... sheesh, men are such babies.) Anyway.... Hubby's parents claim it's a southern thing. There are lots of people here that do it, and I wouldn't call MD the heart of the south.

So, if it's the Miss, Mr thing, what else is there? I mean what else do I do that's different than what they do?

I know one thing, the little differences aren't that big of a deal. Even the big differences don't always matter much... We know we're different, and we accept those differences and we move on. Isn't that what friends do?

So, if your kids don't do the Mr. & Miss Firstname thing, what do they do?

6 babbled along:

  • At 12:18 PM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Queen Bee said…

    I think it's a great thing, you know that. It's respectful without being don't-get-too-close formal.

     
  • At 4:25 PM, August 12, 2006, Blogger hapimumTo3 said…

    We do the Mr. Miss thing except for my cousins and their spouses as well as my best friend are still Aunt and Uncle. I think it's just respectful.

     
  • At 11:50 PM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Lydia said…

    Teachers and some others are Mr. or Mrs. Lastname; family friends and acquaintances are Mr. Eric and Miss Dana, unless they're familly, of course, then they're Aunt/Uncle. Only relatives are Aunt/Uncle here. And definitely ma'am and sir to everybody!

     
  • At 12:50 AM, August 13, 2006, Blogger Heather said…

    We didnt do the Miss or Mr thing until we got to Ellsworth... Everyone called me Miss Heather! Jake gets annoyed. LOL

     
  • At 6:29 PM, August 14, 2006, Blogger Lara said…

    My kids mostly call adults by their first names, or Mr./Miss/Mrs. Last Name. There's a gal down the street who is from Florida, and she has all kids call all adults by Mr./Miss First Name. So when we're both volunterring at the school, I end up with kids calling me Miss Lara when I'm with her. lol. It sounds funny to me, but it works. I guess it's better than Elodie's or Molly's or Quinn's or Avalon's mom.

     
  • At 10:59 PM, August 14, 2006, Blogger Jill said…

    Mr. and Mrs. So-and-so if we aren't close, just first name if we are. My best friend gets Aunt Denise just because she is special. Of course, if they prefer to be called Miss Firstname, we do it out of respect, and they are told to ask what to call an adult, or to ask me to find out for them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home