The Mean Mom

Just ask my 7 year old, he'll tell you. Don't believe him? Ask my 14 year old, if she still leaves you in doubt, my 17 year old can confirm it too.

June 26, 2006

At what point does age allow you to be a butthead?

Let's bring everyone up to speed here...

In 2004, Hubby and I bought a house. Just a little Cape Cod, on a quiet street, with more mature neighbors. After moving in, I started adding some personal touches to the yard... You know, stuff like a bird bath, and a couple feeders. Hung windchimes on the back porch, and put some chairs and a table out back. All seemed to be going along fine... so I thought.

Hint of buttheadedness #1... Mr. Neighbor comes over and asks me to take down my bird feeders. It seems that they attract the birds. The birds then fly into his yard, and poop on his sidewalk, and in the rain, they go under his carport, and poop on his car. Mrs. Neighbor suggested that I just move them farther away from their yard, so I did, Mr said that would work, but he still grumbles about the poop. (As an informal experiment, I left the feeders empty for 2 months, and even without me "attracting" them, they still were in his yard, and under his carport.)

Hint of buttheadedness #2... I have kids. They knew this when I moved in. They saw the kids. I never kept them a secret. They have a nice big paved driveway... Kyle was riding his bike and would pull into his driveway to turn around. He came out and said that he needed to stay out of his driveway. Ok, not a big deal... I talked to Ky, and he doesn't ride his bike there anymore... There are lots of teenaged kids that roam our street... They do NOT belong to me. I do NOT know them, just because I have teens. I can NOT tell these kids not to go into your yard. Yet when the neighborhood kids wander into Mr Neighbor's yard, he feels the need to tell me about it. A Lot.

Hint of buttheadedness #3... We went camping over memorial day weekend... We took 2 seats out of the van, and Kyle's carseat since we didn't need them. When we got back, he commented on the state of our front porch. Said he wondered if we were having a yard sale. (I'm really starting to think that the letter we got in the mail from the neighborhood association, really came from him... You know, we had too much patio furniture. On our patio. Go figure.)

Hint of buttheadedness #4... Hubby mows the lawn every Wednesday evening, weather permitting... On the weekend, he weed-whacks. Between Mr Neighbor's drive way and our yard is a brick and decorative cinderblock wall. It's about 4 feet high. Mr. Neighbor sprays weed killer in his flowerbed to keep the weeds out... he sprays through the chainlink fence. It kills our grass. You would think that he would stop there.. nope. He sprays over the brick wall into our yard and kills about 12-18 inches of our grass. On the other side of the brick wall. OUR grass in OUR yard. (Hubby is not a happy guy... If there is nothing a guy takes pride in more, it's his lawn, and in the 2 years we have been there, ours is shaping up nicely.) Hubby is waiting to calm down enough to talk to him about it. It's been over a week.

Finally, Hint of buttheadedness #5... I live in MD. If you've seen any weather related news you might have seen we've had lots of rain. LOTS. So yesterday, Hubby and I are coming home from the grocery store, and we're behind Mr & Mrs Neighbor. There are large puddles along the curbs. Yes, you guessed it... Mr Neighbor was driving along, and would move over to get the pedestrians with the puddles. At first Hubby and I thought it was just that he couldn't move over to avoid the puddle, but we had no problems missing them. He splashed 3 different sets of people. What an ass.

Anyway... at what age can I start being a butthead? I mean there has to be a point, when you wake up and you're an ass. I think I have a while to go, but I figured if I could find out when that will happen, I'll start prepping now.

4 babbled along:

  • At 8:00 PM, June 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think you can start now - especially if you take a road trip to PA this weekend....whoooohooo the more the merrier. Hope you can pull it off :)

     
  • At 1:18 PM, June 27, 2006, Blogger Queen Bee said…

    When it happens, you won't know it, because then YOU will be the one who is right and all THOSE young people won't know how to do anything right ;)

     
  • At 9:45 AM, June 28, 2006, Blogger The Cluck Wagon said…

    I think your neighbor is related to your ex. ;)

     
  • At 9:47 AM, July 04, 2006, Blogger carmilevy said…

    Something tells me this guy was a BH long before you arrived on the scene.

    I think the old saw that says folks get crotchety when they get old is a bit out-of-date. In reality, nasty people simply get nastier with time.

    He sounds like a real piece of work. I think your husband can have some serious fun with him with the lawn. Nothing upsets buttheads more than a little buttheaded treatment in return. This moron sounds seriously overdue.

    And in my next life, I'm going to avoid suburbia altogether. Country, here I come.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home