The Mean Mom

Just ask my 7 year old, he'll tell you. Don't believe him? Ask my 14 year old, if she still leaves you in doubt, my 17 year old can confirm it too.

August 29, 2007

I should have jumped in earlier...

So, I kept seeing people talking about Ravelry, and I didn't think I would worthy... I don't have the stash, or the projects that others have. But then I started thinking... how could I benefit from the goodness it plans to be? There will be (from what I've heard, there ARE) message boards. I could use them to my advantage to learn.

I guess I should be honest... I started knitting on a whim. I wanted Socks like Michele and Lara... I wanted fun stuff. I tried it. My first attempt at a project was socks. Yeah. I have the yarn, the needles and my pattern all stored neatly in a zipper plastic bag. I made attempts, but it just wasn't working. Then I moved on to wash cloths. I've made some for me, the girl across the street (little soft ones for her baby), and some for a charity my X-MIL is involved with. I made a bib. I made a scarf... that's it. I really wasn't thinking I would stick with it. I thought it would be like other stuff and I would start it and never finish anything. I've been knitting for about a year.

Then I signed up for that knit along. That could be a bit over my head, but I'm trying it anyway. I can do that... I've done some cable stuff... yeah, so they were dish cloths. And some cabled afghan squares. But they were still cables. I can do this.

So, I bit the bullet and signed up for Ravelry... because I'm impatient, I went to look at where I was on the list...

this is what it says:

You are #21799 on the list.
10989 people are ahead of you in line.
7902 people are behind you in line.

I might actually get an invite sometime before the end of the year... (yesterday, there were only about 3100 people behind me... wow... who knew there were that many knitters!)

Guess I'll just knit and wait, and wait and knit... I think that I might even venture to my LYS to pet yarns for the Wheat Ear Cable Sweater. Have to remember to take my magazine along for reference if I find something.

Labels: ,

2 babbled along:

  • At 4:12 PM, August 30, 2007, Blogger Lara said…

    Ravelry is a great resource! And it's fun. They're zipping through that list pretty fast. It's a little confusing being on there right now, because they keep changing things. Yes, they are improving things, but it's still confusing.

    Anyway, eventually, they'll be able to drop the Beta portion of events and everyone will get in.

     
  • At 9:32 PM, September 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You'll love it when you get in!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home