The Mean Mom

Just ask my 7 year old, he'll tell you. Don't believe him? Ask my 14 year old, if she still leaves you in doubt, my 17 year old can confirm it too.

August 23, 2006

The end is near...

Summer is coming to a close. School bells are starting to ring. Stores are packed with smiling parents and frowning children.

There's nothing like the start of school to remind us how quickly time passes.

I'm not one to count the passing by birthdays, or New Year's Eve parties... I judge time by passing of summers... by "What grade are you in this year" questioning from people to my kids.

The littlest is in 2nd grade this year. I'm not sure I'm ready for this. He's almost 1/2 way through Elementary school. Halfway. He's my baby. It's always bittersweet to see your kids head off to school, but when it's your last kid, it's even more bitter than sweet. School is a scary place when you're so small. He's not the littlest guppy in that big tank, but compared to the 5th grade students, he sure looks it. He looks forward to school. He likes going, and he loves to learn. Those are 2 things that I hope continue for another 10+ years. It sounds so long, but I know it will fly by in no time at all.

Middlest? She's headed into 8th grade. Last year of middle school. Let the drama begin. I think that is the most turbulent year... They are the oldest in their school, and they try to act that way, but then they are still such children inside. Actually, I think this year is tied with next year when they are shoved into high school. I think 14 is still too young for high school. There are way too many things they have thrown at them. She needs to enjoy this year.

Oldest is a Junior. 11th grade. The year of Ring Dances and her first prom. The year to truly decide what she wants to be when she grows up. She's pretty sure she wants to be a photo journalist. Now she has to figure out how. There are SAT prep classes, she's taking yearbook again, and going to ask about the school newspaper. She's become quite the young lady, but when I look at her, I still see her on that first day of school, her backpack almost as big as she was. Scared and excited. I don't think the fear ever really goes away for that first day, but I think the excitement might be a little lacking. She knows she has the pressure of her future on her, and I just hope that she does't let it break her.

I was not a good student. I didn't like to work. I didn't like to put forth any effort. I am by no means unintelligent, you just can't prove it by my grades. High school was spent cutting classes, and hanging with the wrong people. I was more interested in avoiding school than finding my future. I want much more for my children. I want them to know that they can be better than me. They can be better than lots of people. They can be the best. They ARE the best.

Let the learning begin!

2 babbled along:

Post a Comment

<< Home