The Mean Mom

Just ask my 7 year old, he'll tell you. Don't believe him? Ask my 14 year old, if she still leaves you in doubt, my 17 year old can confirm it too.

March 17, 2008

Like a blast from the past...

Hello.
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone home? *

I have one of those visual memories that is a little creepy... I can see a car on a highway, and remember it an hour and a half later when I park next to it at the rest area to go to the bathroom.

Come on, now.
I hear youre feeling down.
Well I can ease your pain,
Get you on your feet again.

I can remember people I stood behind in line at the grocery store when I see them at the bank later in the day. Kinda weird...

Relax.
I need some information first.
Just the basic facts:
Can you show me where it hurts?

I can remember a person's handwriting after only seeing it one time... One time.

There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ships smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I cant hear what youre sayin.
When I was a child I had a fever.
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I got that feeling once again.
I cant explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.

I have been Kyle's Assistant Cubmaster for 2 years now. I have been to numerous Regional Scouting Roundtable meetings. I have seen this same guy a bunch of times... It wasn't until I started seeing his name on emails from the District that I started wondering... Then at the last meeting I saw him again... Was that the guy that I spent all of 8th grade writing "Comfortably Numb" on the table in our Science class verse by verse with? Was that the same guy that I had that little crush on?

Nah... couldn't be...

When the meeting was over, I walked over to check for sure if this was the same person... before I could even say anything, he said "Hi, Karen! It sure has been a long time." I was shocked! That was the same guy. It was the same person that for a year I would right notes and song lyrics to. We hung out at school, got into trouble together and did all sorts of juvenile stuff together.

We did the whole, "Since you are involved in Scouts, I guess you've got at least a boy" thing... he has 3 kids too, said he married his high school sweetheart, but I didn't think to ask who that was... I might have known her.

It was nice to see him again, but I have to be perfectly honest... I didn't recognize him at all... There was no memory of what he looked like. How many other people do I know and yet I could be possibly standing right next to them and not even know it.

Maybe I should start wearing a name tag...

Ok.
Just a little pinprick.
Therell be no more --aaaaaahhhhh!
But you may feel a little sick.

Can you stand up?
I do believe its working.
Good.
Thatll keep you going for the show.
Come on its time to go.


*"Comfortably Numb" Lyrics courtesy of Pink Floyd

Labels:

1 babbled along:

  • At 1:31 PM, March 17, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a fun story! And it reminded me that I wanted to Google and old friend from elementary school that I ended up 're meeting' in college. And it made me kind of regret not doing my own song lyric post today (not to worry, it's on my list of posts to do)...I posted a rant instead. And it made me smile!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home